Voltron Dueling Academy
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Be a Part of the Best Academy Around!

HomeSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

VDA Skype Group Chat

VDA uses Skype more often than the Chatbox. Click here to join.

"Ask Alice"
(Ruling Questions)

Who is online?
In total there is 1 user online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 1 Guest

None

Most users ever online was 79 on Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:02 am
Affiliates

Possible Potential: Tribute Stun (Top 4 SAWCQ)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Alice the Sea-Queen

Alice the Sea-Queen

DN Username : Alice the Sea-Queen
DP : 18096

Possible Potential: Tribute Stun (Top 4 SAWCQ) Empty
PostSubject: Possible Potential: Tribute Stun (Top 4 SAWCQ)   Possible Potential: Tribute Stun (Top 4 SAWCQ) I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 12:39 pm

Today we’re going to be talking about a strategy that can lock you out of playing cards completely, on a fairly consistent basis. For those of you that have no idea what I'm talking about, Luis Cossio got a top 4 finish at his World Championship Qualifier event, using a fairly original concept. It's not every day you see a good deck based on tribute-summoning, but after some experimenting and consideration, THIS deck came about:

Luis Cossio’s Tribute Stun – 40 Cards
Top 4 South American WCQ, June 29 2014
Monsters: 11
3 Archlord Kristya
3 Majesty's Fiend
3 Vanity's Ruler
1 Vanity's Fiend
1 Angel O7

Spells: 22
3 Pot of Duality
3 Upstart Goblin
2 Mystical Space Typhoon
1 Book of Moon
2 Mausoleum of the Emperor
2 Terraforming
3 Forbidden Lance
3 Forbidden Dress
3 Photon Sanctuary

Traps: 7
3 Royal Decree
2 Safe Zone
1 Bottomless Trap Hole
1 The First Monarch

Extra Deck: 0

Side Deck: 15
2 Consecrated Light
1 Vanitys Fiend
1 Mausoleum of the Emperor
1 Mystical Space Typhoon
3 Dust Tornado
3 Spell Shield Type-8
2 Trap Stun
1 Trap Hole
1 Fiendish Chain

Now the first thing many of you will have thought upon reading this is "Where the hell is his Extra Deck?". Well, to tell you the truth, I have no idea. I've checked about four different sources, and I can't seem to find one that lists a single XYZ or Synchro monster, which suggests one thing to me:

He doesn't have one.

Now this could be for two reasons. The first reason is because he's incompetent, and has no idea how to play the game whatsoever. Taking into consideration the fact that he got into the semi-finals of a tournament featuring the best players in South America, I doubt this is the case.

On the other hand, there's a much more simple and reasonable explanation, and that's just that this strategy doesn't really need or use one. This deck gets its main source of power from the Main Deck, so using an Extra Deck isn't really necessary. Throw in anything it's possible to summon, I guess.

You play cards like Mausoleum of the Emperor, Photon Sanctuary, and The First Monarch to put your stun creatures on the board with little to no risk. Archlord Kristya, Vanity's Ruler and Vanity's Fiend serve to stop your opponent from Special Summoning, while Majesty's Fiend and Angel O7 just stop your opponent from doing anything at all. From there you back up whatever you have on the board with a Royal Decree or a Safe Zone, and possibly a couple of copies of Forbidden Lance or Forbidden Dress, and you're already in a strong enough position to pretty much dominate the rest of the game.

That may seem like an oversimplified explanation of what this deck is designed to do, but honestly, that's what this deck DOES at it's core. Cossio took advantage of the fact that unless a deck plays Fire Hand, pretty much every strategy this format relies on Special Summoning to put something big on the field. His deck’s also immune to Black Horn of Heaven and Traptrix Trap Hole Nightmare, as nothing he runs activates or Special Summons, so if his win conditions didn’t make enough of his opponent’s cards into dead draws then that could probably do the trick. Consider all of that, combined with the declining popularity of Mystical Space Typhoon due to Artifacts and the advantage that Royal Decree offers, and you actually have one of the most unfair strategies possible. All you're doing is placing cards on the board that stop your opponent from playing the game, and gradually shutting them off until they can't make a single move.

Even if you DO attack over a Fire Hand, this deck has plenty of main-decked answers to that problem. Forbidden Dress, Majesty's Fiend, Safe Zone and Angel O7 will all stop the Fire Hand from going off successfully (Or at all), making your opponent's number 1 out card redundant. That leaves very few options to get past your play-stoppers. There's pretty much just cards like Book of Moon or Compulsory Evacuation Device left, and if you can stop your opponent from playing that quickly enough, you can make THOSE cards redundant, too. Another card that could potentially pose a threat is Fiendish Chain, but a couple of copies of Mystical Space Typhoon and Royal Decree can stop that easily enough as well.

To put it simply: This deck is awesome. It's simple, cheap and extremely effective as a lockdown. I'll be messing with this concept a fair amount over the upcoming weeks, and I hope you'll join me. It's been Alice, and enjoy the deck ^.^

Last edited by Alice the Sea-Queen on Mon Oct 06, 2014 8:35 am; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Grammar)
Back to top Go down
Emilyy

DN Username : TipsyCat
DP : 18056

PostSubject: Re: Possible Potential: Tribute Stun (Top 4 SAWCQ)   Possible Potential: Tribute Stun (Top 4 SAWCQ) I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 14, 2014 12:41 pm

faker and gayer
Back to top Go down
Emilyy

PostSubject: Re: Possible Potential: Tribute Stun (Top 4 SAWCQ)   Possible Potential: Tribute Stun (Top 4 SAWCQ) I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2014 9:59 pm

Also
"cheap"
It's quite pricey ;-;
Back to top Go down
Alice the Sea-Queen

Alice the Sea-Queen

PostSubject: Re: Possible Potential: Tribute Stun (Top 4 SAWCQ)   Possible Potential: Tribute Stun (Top 4 SAWCQ) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 3:59 am

Emilyy wrote:
It's quite pricey ;-;

I know... Those copies of Noblswarm Belzebuth you have to shell out for. The 101, and the 2 Drago-SAC... Then there's the Blood Mefist...

No deck without a single card in the Extra is THAT expensive, hon. Suck it up.
Back to top Go down
Emilyy

PostSubject: Re: Possible Potential: Tribute Stun (Top 4 SAWCQ)   Possible Potential: Tribute Stun (Top 4 SAWCQ) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 10:50 am

Alice the Sea-Queen wrote:
Emilyy wrote:
It's quite pricey ;-;

I know... Those copies of Noblswarm Belzebuth you have to shell out for. The 101, and the 2 Drago-SAC... Then there's the Blood Mefist...

No deck without a single card in the Extra is THAT expensive, hon. Suck it up.

No the deck looks good.
It's just Pot of Dual is expensive as fuck.
As are upstarts (Commons are like £10)
The Vanity's are £20 each
Lance and Dress £5-10
Decree is pricy.
The rest is... not too bad.
Around 150~

Not too bad, I was just commenting on the fact you said it was cheap.
And true, quite a lot of extra deck cards are expensive. But 101 is 15 in Ultra, Exciton is £50 unfortunately. and Draco is... 30? Can't remember. No idea on Mefist xD
Back to top Go down
Alice the Sea-Queen

Alice the Sea-Queen

PostSubject: Re: Possible Potential: Tribute Stun (Top 4 SAWCQ)   Possible Potential: Tribute Stun (Top 4 SAWCQ) I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 16, 2014 12:19 pm

Mefist is a prize card, so about 150-250$
Back to top Go down
Emilyy

PostSubject: Re: Possible Potential: Tribute Stun (Top 4 SAWCQ)   Possible Potential: Tribute Stun (Top 4 SAWCQ) I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 17, 2014 1:12 pm

I seee
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Possible Potential: Tribute Stun (Top 4 SAWCQ)   Possible Potential: Tribute Stun (Top 4 SAWCQ) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Possible Potential: Tribute Stun (Top 4 SAWCQ)
Page 1 of 1